What You Need to Know About Temp to Hire Workers
In today’s age, one thing has become clear: Businesses need to be fluid when adapting to an ever-changing economy.
In order to be fluid, businesses need flexibility. In fact: US employment agencies staffed a record 3.2 million temporary jobs in 2018.
So in this article we’ll be discussing temp to hire workers, what they do, and what you should know before hiring one.
What does temp-to-hire mean?
Temp to hire is an arrangement where a company hires a temporary worker, usually through a staffing agency, and has the option to offer them a permanent position once the temp contract ends.
How does temp to hire work?
Temporary periods can vary, but are usually a longer period of time (3-6 months). This allows the company to get a good read on a workers’ skills, habits and work ethic.
Think of temp to hire employment like an employee probationary period. The main difference being that with temp to hire, workers aren’t on the company payroll until they’re hired for a full time position. This also means that the workers benefits and wages are handled by the staffing agency, during this period.
Benefits of temp to hire workers
- Flexibility. As discussed off the top, the flexibility of a temp-for-hire worker is a great asset for any business. If a company wants to test out a new role, but aren’t sure they have the hours or workload to fill it consistently, bringing in temporary help is often a perfect solution.No extensive paperwork to do, no benefits to pay for, and you can cut them loose at any time. This is especially important in construction, where work is often seasonal or sporadic.
- Provides time to assess performance. Let’s face it - trying to find someone to join your team can be daunting. You need workers who not only have the skills and experience to do the job, but personalities that fit your company culture. Temp to hire gives you a thorough look at how a worker performs, without the commitment of having to keep them long term.
- Time and cost savings. Rather than spend time trying to recruit and screen potential candidates, the staffing agency does this for you. This gives your team more time to focus on important tasks. It also costs less to bring on a temporary worker, minimizing the risk of hiring full-time employees who don't work out.
While there are some great benefits with temp to hire workers, there are potential drawbacks as well:
Temp workers may have trouble integrating with your team. In some cases permanent employees can be hesitant to work with temporary hires, unwilling to offer the same level of help as an existing team member.
You might have to pay a contract buyout fee to the staffing agency if you’d like to bring a temp on permanently. Waiting out the initial contract will avoid the fee, but you risk the candidate exploring other options if they feel you might not hire them.
The injury risk for a temporary employee is higher than a full time employee. If you’re in construction or trades, this should be a major consideration when hiring a temp worker. Utilizing a construction-specific staffing agency that does proper safety training can help reduce this risk.
Temp to Hire Workers - Benefits for Employees
Temp to hire work experience can be invaluable for employees, especially ones new to the industry. Here are some of the ways they benefit:
- Expands their job search
- Opportunity to learn new skills
- Boost their resume with relevant work experience
- Expand their network of professional contacts
- Personal insight on whether a specific career is right for them
Securing Temp to Hire Workers - Employer Best Practices
In order to maximize your time and effort when looking for temporary to hire workers, here are some tips to guide you in the right direction:
- Be selective. Treat the process the same way you would when looking for a permanent employee to fill a full time role. Don’t take a passive approach, and be picky when screening candidates.The more selective you are, the greater the odds you’ll bring on someone valuable.
- Use an experienced and niche-focused staffing agency. This should go without saying, but the quality of the staffing service and agency specialization will have a direct impact on the quality of candidates you get. Narrow down your search to 2-3 agencies in your industry, and meet with them to see how they operate. A professional, reputable staffing agency will have a large pool of qualified and experienced workers to choose from, that are specific to your hiring needs.
- Use the full temp period. Be sure to take full advantage of the temporary work period. Putting the candidate in different situations, and challenging them, will give you a better idea if they’ll be a good fit or not.
- Keep an open mind. If you love a candidate’s personality and work habits, but don’t necessarily have enough workload to fill a long term position, get creative. Consider a hybrid role, or needs in another part of the business they may be able to help fill. Good people can be hard to find; if you come across one, try to keep them on your team.
Working With a Qualified Temp Agency
As you can see, temp to hire contracts provide a number of benefits to employers, as well as employees.
But the quality of the candidate is only as good as the temp agency that places them...
A clear plan combined with a professional staffing agency like Elite Force, ensures your business will find the talent it needs to get the job done right. Click here to learn more about our services.